Framework of the Ministry
- The Newly Married Couples Ministry is a nine-month program that meets once a month.
- The Core Objectives of the ministry should be rotated each month. Social events, group discussions, and mentor couple sessions will be alternated.
- Ideally a mentor couple should be the ministry’s Group leader. However, if this is not possible, a newly married couple can act as the ministry’s group leader.
- Discussion curriculum is provided, in addition, the program supplies additional discussions so each parish can tailor the ministry to fit their own newly married group.
- A Leader’s Guide is provided for group discussions. Each discussion should last about 30-45 minutes. The Group Leader’s Guide provides the proficiency for the leader so that he or she may facilitate the discussions with confidence, despite their level of knowledge or leadership capabilities. It also, reinforces the leader’s role as a facilitator (and not a counselor). Another key element is that it helps the leader stay on topic and insures that the discussion is within the authority of the Orthodox Church.
- We suggest the Newly Married Mentoring Ministry gather at the church. This will allow couples to be fully engaged without outside distractions. However, depending on the number of participants and the group’s demographics, the ministry can assemble at a participant’s home; creating a Newly Married Small Group.
- Whether the group meets at the church or in homes, a Pot luck dinner is always fun.
- If a mentor couple is the group leader, they still need to recruit other mentor couples to participate.